Mentoring Plus provides volunteer-led mentoring services and activities for 7 to 21 year olds in Bath & NE Somerset who are facing significant challenges (up to age 25 with a SEND diagnosis).
We are not currently open for new applications to refer young people aged 11 to 21 (year 7 and above – up to age 25 with a SEN diagnosis) for out of school mentoring. We aim to open regularly and will be in touch with referrers and families on our mailing list to let them know our next opening date.
Please email if you would like to be added to the referral list and be advised of when we are next open for referrals.
Further questions about referring? Please check out our FAQS where we have covered the most common questions.
Mentees aged 7-11 are referred directly by the Behaviour & Attendance Panels which represent primary schools in Bath and Norton Radstock. If you’d like a 7-11 year old to be considered for volunteer mentoring in future, please speak to the child’s school headteacher.
Who we can support
We specifically support young people identified as facing more than one risk factor from those detailed below:
- Displaying signs of anti–social behaviour
- Either disengaged, excluded or at risk of exclusion from education
- Or not in employment or training (NEET)
- In or leaving care
- Experiencing significant challenges out of school – including factors such as a lack of role models, family breakdown, bereavement, isolation and historic domestic violence.
How does mentoring work?
Once we have capacity to match your referral from our waiting list, we offer the following to a young person for up to a year:
- A named practitioner assigned to support them
- Introductory sessions with their practitioner to develop a Personal Plan
- A volunteer mentor working with them each week to develop confidence, have new experiences and access new opportunities
- An activities budget to spend with their mentor
- A community project to contribute and make a difference locally
- Exit planning with links to services and transitional support on leaving our service
- Engagement in Team Around the Child processes as needed, ensuring the voice of the mentee is shared with other professionals throughout this year