“I’d like teachers to get us to check in with a score of how we are that day”
“I hate when people say ‘oh it’s just how girls are’”
“I’d like positive and powerful women to come in and talk at school”
“Being different makes you an outcast”
Want to know how vulnerable girls feel? The ones who don’t make trouble and don’t ask for help, but are desperately in need of support?
You can hear from them directly as part of our Supporting Vulnerable Girls CPD Conference on Weds 8th November 2017.
Mentoring Plus has been supporting children and young people struggling with significant challenges for nearly 20 years. Last year over 70% of referrals made to us were for boys. We want to work with schools, social care and youth work professionals to understand why this is, and to ensure girls are not being overlooked.
We’ve been working with our female mentees to give them a voice, help shape our conference and give them inspiration to help us all support their peers better. The quotes above are just a starter – they’ve got plenty to say!
Our conference will help all professionals to:
- Understand signals and behaviours among vulnerable girls better
- Provide timely and appropriate support for girls who need it, helping prevent difficulties escalating
- Share insights during and after the conference
- Feel more confident and equipped to work effectively with girls in our care
Wednesday 8th November 2017, 09.30 – 14.30
The egg, Theatre Royal Bath
- A presentation from our female mentee panel
- Keynote from psychologist Dr Karen John: Reaching out to vulnerable girls
- Group discussions on signals, gender and age differences, self-esteem, support strategies and more
- Techniques for mindfulness and Thrive support
- Teachers and pastoral care staff supporting girls of all ages
- Youth work professionals
- Social care professionals
- All practitioners supporting girls and young women in related settings.
Cost: £50 per attendee, includes lunch. Any surplus generated will directly support our charitable work with vulnerable 7-21 year olds across B&NES.
Numbers are strictly limited. Reserve your place today